Chimney Fire on Baltimore Pike
By Union Watch Desk
December 24, 2023

Box 2107

On Sunday afternoon, the Union Fire Company No.1 was alerted for an outside investigation across from the Old Post House Restaurant on Baltimore Pike in East Nottingham Township. The caller advised that a large amount of white smoke was coming out of the Chimney of a nearby home.

Returning from another call in the district, Engine 21-4 responded at dispatch, followed by Ladder 21.

The Engine arrived on scene of the single story dwelling and began to investigate. The Ladder crew used a ground ladder to access the roof and removed the cap from the Chimney. A blockage was found inside the pipe, so the interior crew removed the burning wood from the fire box.

Fortunately, this blockage was found before any additional damage was caused to the home. Crews used Thermal Imaging Cameras to check the walls and found normal conditions.

The 21 Units were clear of the incident in just over a half hour.

Please see below for some Chimney Safety tips as we move into the winter months.

1. Have your Chimney professionally cleaned every year.
2. Do not burn trash or other household items in a fire place or wood stove.
3. Be sure to properly use the flue for ventilation.
4. Extinguish fires in your fire place before leaving your home.
5. Use a screen or glass cover on the outside of a fire place to prevent embers or sparks from getting out.
6. When discarding ashes, do so in a metal container, with a lid, stored a safe distance away from any structures.

Units: Engine 21-4, Ladder 21, Chief 21